My Vietnam Blog

A Diary or comments upon experiences and the daily life in Dalat, Vietnam.

Monday, January 08, 2007

Winter in the Tropics

I have never lived in a tropical area before and I must admit that I had never expected it to be so cold.
It's a bit special here though because we are 1500 m(4921 feet)above sea level and the last 2-3 days it has been only 16-17 degrees C and very strong winds. In Ho Chi Minh(Saigon)300km from here its 22-30 degrees so quite a big difference.
December and January are the coldest months here but nice days it's still around 25 degrees.
So when the temperature drops to 16 you feel cold and especially inside the house because it's no heating. It's sometimes better to go out and if you feel too cold the only sensible thing to do, is to go to bed. Some people dress more like it's 16 below zero than +16, with big winter jackets and gloves or mittens.

It's 10 o'clock night now and every night this time there is a man passing along the houses in our street shouting something like "waimiai, waimiai...aimi" I don't know what it means and I don't know what he is selling and it doesn't seem the business is very good, not in this street at least. There are also other street sellers during day with different ways of telling that they are here, like children's toys that makes a noise when you squeeze them.

I have been ill during the weekend with stom pain and feeling sick. I have probably eated something I shouldn't or something that wasn't clean. At work I'm eating together with the workers and I think it is not always the things are clean enough. Breakfast I have in my office but at lunch we are sitting 10 people around each table in a big dining hall. One person are handing out the chopsticks and the strange thing is that for one or the other reason while doing this they are always holding the chopsticks....yes, right..in the end they shouldn't. Well, as I have said before; it's incredible what we can get used to.
I should have told you about the fish they eat every day...that's one of the things I stay clear off....and the coffee, but I think another time.

2 Comments:

At 7:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe=D just be careful so you don't get to sick! weird place... =D miss you=)

 
At 8:18 pm, Blogger admin said...

You're a good writer, dad. Made me curious about that coffee, and the fish! I'll read on...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home